What health and safety documentation do schools need?

Mountains of paperwork spilling over desks. Hours of typing up. Time spent creating documents that may not be even be looked at, let alone used.

This is often the view of health and safety – but that isn’t the case.

Here we list the top five key health and safety documents schools need to have in place, and hopefully provide you with some reassurance that health and safety is not about endless amounts of paperwork.

Health and Safety Policy

Health and Safety Policy

A health and safety policy documents how you will manage health and safety in your school. It should clearly state who does what, how and when.

We can tailor a health and safety policy specifically for your business.

Alternatively the HSE provide templates and examples which you can use to compose your own policy.

Risk Assessments

Risk Assessments

Risk assessments shouldn’t be about creating pointless, never-ending paperwork. Instead they should be clear and simple, identifying and focusing on suitable control measures to manage the risks from your activities.

We offer a free risk assessment template here.

Fire Risk Assessment

Fire Risk Assessment

Under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 it is a legal requirement for a fire risk assessment to be carried out in almost all premises where people could be working.

This will identify what might cause a fire in your school, who might suffer harm and what is needed to control the risks.

Safetyboss regularly undertakes fire risk assessments for schools across the country; we undertake a thorough review of your fire management arrangements and provide you with a written report with a practical action plan. Click here for more information.

For more information on fire safety responsibilities, what needs to be done and fire risk assessment guidance visit the GOV.UK website.

Accident Incident Records

Accident / Incident Records

Under health and safety law you must keep a record of accidents, incidents and work-related disease. Certain accidents / incidents need to be reported to the HSE.

These records will help you to identify patterns within your organisation, and you may be asked by your insurance company for your records in the event of a work-related claim.

You can find out which ones need to be reported and how here.

Health and Safety Law Poster

Health and Safety Law poster

If you employ anyone you must either display the poster in your staff room/s or provide each employee with a copy.

You can get copies of the poster and pocket sized versions here.

There are others that we haven’t mentioned above such as arrangements for first aid, insurance documents and safety signage.

If you have any questions or require any further information about any of the documentation mentioned do not hesitate to contact us on 01394 389683 or email info@safetyboss.co.uk.