What should you see in an office?

Office Health and Safety 

Many of you reading this will be in your office or a similar environment within your workplace.

You may not have ever noticed that you are surrounded by health and safety posters, documents etc.

We are going to highlight some of the key health and safety items / documents you should be able to see or access in your office / main workplace area.

Health and safety must-haves

Let’s cover the main things you must have:

  • A health and safety law poster – the law requires employers to either display the HSE-approved law poster or provide each worker with the equivalent as a leaflet.
  • An accident book – used to record details of injuries from accidents at work that employers must report under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2012 (RIDDOR). Can also act as a valuable document that organisations can use to record accident information as part of an effective health and safety management system.
  • A first aid kit – the Health and Safety First Aid Regulations 1991 require employers to provide adequate and appropriate equipment and facilities to ensure employees receive immediate attention if they are injured or taken ill at work.
  • Fire signage – such as fire action notices, fire exit signs and fire door signage.
  • Fire alarm call point and extinguishers – not legal requirements but are good practice.

Office Safety

Things you may need

There are some health and safety things you may need depending on what you have in your office / workplace:

  • PAT testing labels on equipment – technically, PAT testing is not a legal requirement. However, it is a legal requirement to ensure that electricity at work is constantly maintained and deemed fit. PAT testing is a means to prove that these checks have been carried out.
  • Electrical hazards signage on cupboard doors – where you see signs warning of electrical danger it is highly likely there is electricity present.
  • COSHH cupboard including safety data sheet – suitable storage of hazardous substances is required. You should also have hard copies of safety data sheets for all of the substances you hold.
  • Asbestos labels - if asbestos is present within the building you should stick labels on anything that contains / might contain asbestos if it is located where people are likely to disturb or damage it.
    There are many other health and safety documents etc. you will / may require; if you wish to require anything in more detail and what you are required to have to meet your legal requirements do not hesitate to contact us on 01394 389683 or info@safetyboss.co.uk.