What health and safety documentation do I need?

What health and safety documentation do I need?

Did you know that if you have fewer than five employees most health and safety documentation doesn’t need to be formally recorded?

Mountains of paperwork spilling over desks. Hours of typing up. Time spent creating documents that may not be even be looked at, let alone used.

This is often the view of health and safety – but that isn’t the case.

Here we list the top five key health and safety documents organisations need to have in place, and hopefully provide you with some reassurance that health and safety is not about endless amounts of paperwork.

1. Health and Safety Policy

    A health and safety policy documents how you will manage health and safety in your business. It should clearly state who does what, how and when.

    If you have fewer than five employees you don’t have to write it down.

    We can tailor a health and safety policy specifically for your business.

    Alternatively the HSE provide templates and examples which you can use to compose your own policy.

    Health and Safety Policy

    2. Risk Assessments

    Risk assessments shouldn’t be about creating pointless, never-ending paperwork. Instead they should be clear and simple, identifying and focusing on suitable control measures to manage risks in your organisation.

    If you have fewer than five employees you don’t even need to write them up.

    We offer a free risk assessment template here.

    Risk Assessments

    3. Fire Risk Assessment

    Under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 it is a legal requirement for a fire risk assessment to be carried out in almost all premises where people could be working.

    This will identify what might cause a fire in the workplace, who might suffer harm and what is needed to control the risk.

    Again, this only needs to be kept as a written document if you have five or more people.

    This can be undertaken by your ‘responsible person’, or alternatively we can undertake one for you.

    For more information on fire safety responsibilities, what needs to be done and fire risk assessment guidance visit the GOV.UK website.

    Fire Risk Assessment

    4. Accident / Incident Records

    Under health and safety law you must keep a record of accidents, incidents and work-related disease. In addition, certain ones need to be reported to the HSE.

    These records will help you to identify patterns of accidents / incidents within your organisation, and you may be asked by your insurance company for your records in the event of a work-related claim.

    You can find out which ones need to be reported and how here.

    Incident Records

    5. Health and Safety Law poster

    If you employ anyone you must either display the poster in your workplace or provide each employee with a copy.

    You can get copies of the poster and pocket sized versions here.

    Health and Safety Law Poster


    There are others that we haven’t mentioned above such as arrangements for first aid, insurance documents and safety signage.

    If you have any questions or require any further information about any of the documentation mentioned do not hesitate to contact us.

    WANT TO SEE OUR FULL RANGE OF SERVICES?  Download our Brochure >